Measurement class 6
In our daily life ,we come across the measurement of different things .it is very difficult to do something in the society without measurement.To prepare clothes a tailor should have to measure our body and need to cut clothes accordingly.
Measurement is the comparision between Things. Basically ,measurement is the comparision of unknown body to known things.so measurement is relationship between known quantity and unknown quantity.
The quantities which can be measured are called physical quantities .Mass,length,time,temperature are the physical quantities.
Quantities which can not be measured are known as non physical quantities . eg. love,hate,feeling etc.
Physical quantities can also be divided into two quantities:-
That particular quantities that are independent to each other is called fundamental quantities:Mass ,length ,time ,temperature etc are the fundamental quantities.
Quantities which can be derived from physical quantities are called derived quantities. eg- volume,pressure,density etc.
Local Measurement System or the Traditional measurement System
Earlier we used to measure various things with traditional way like, Length and breadth were measured with hand span. Legumes,cereals,kerosene or cooking oil were measured using ‘Mana’ or ‘Pathi’.
- Length ,Breadth – Hand Span
- Legumes,cereals,Kerosene,Cooking oil – Mana ,Pathi
Earlier ground was measured with the help of Footsteps.
Table was measured with Hand Span.
Standard units of measurement.
The unit which is agreed by people all over the world is known as standard units of measurement.
To bring systematic comparision all over the world there is presence of standard units of measurement.
System of units commonly used for the measurement of different physical quantities.
- FPS System–
It is British System of units where length is measured in Foot(P),Mass is measured in Pound (P) and time is measured in second (S).
- CGS System-
It is french system of units where length is measured in Centimetre (C), Mass is measured in Gram (G) and time is measured in Second (S).
- MKS System –
Most of countries follow this system where length is measured in meter (m),Mass is measured in Kilogram (KG) and time is measured in second (s).
- SI units
SI units is short form of system of international units.
It is the extended form of MKS system.
The general conference on weights and measures decided to adopt this system of units in France ,in 1971.this system of units is called the Systeme Internationale d’ unites.
SI Units are divided in two two groups as fundamental units and derived units
Fundamental units :
The units of quantities like mass ,length ,time etc which can not depend on other is known as fundamental units.
Eg. Kilogram (kg) of mass,metre (m) of length etc.
Following are the seven fundamental Quantities and their units :
T- Time ,Temperature
A-Amount of Substance
L –Length ,Luminous Intensity
|Amount of substance||Mole (mol)|
|Luminous Intensity||Candela (cd)|
|Electric Current||Ampere (a)|
The units which are derived from the fundamental units are known as derived units.Derived quantities have derived units .
Area (Square metre) has two fundamental units ‘metre’.
Volume(Cubic metre) has three fundamental units ‘metre’.
Speed ( Metre per seconds )has metre and second as fundamental units
Commonly used fundamental Units :
Length is measured in metre (m).
Two measure the length following devices are used
- Meter scale
- Inch Tape
- Measuring tape
Multiple and Sub multiple of Meter
10 Millimeters (mm) = 1 Centimeter (cm)
10 Centimetres (cm) = 1 Decimeter (dm)
10 Decimeter (dm) = 1 Meter (m)
100 Centimeter (cm) = 1 meter (m)
1000 Meters (m) = 1 Kilometers (KM)
The quantity of matter contained in body is called mass.Mass of a body is constant.
Mass doesn’t vary with place to place .
The unit of mass is kilogram (kg).
The instrument commonly used to measure mass is beam balance.
Multiples and sub Multiples of Mass
1000 Milligrams (mg) = 1 Gram (g)
1000 Grams ( g) = 1 kilograms (kg)
100 Kilograms (kg) = 1 quintal
1000 Kilograms (kg) = 1 Metric Tonne (MT)
The interval between two instances is Time .
The standard unit of time is second (s).
The larger unit of time is Minute ,hour, and day.
Different types of clocks and watches are used to measure Time.
Multiples and Submultiples of time
60 seconds (s) = 1 Minute
60 minute (min) = 1 Hour (hr)
24 hour (hr) = 1 Day
365 day = 1 year
30 day = 1 month
12 month = 1 year
10 years = 1 decade
10 decades = 1 century
10 centuries = 1 millennium
Here are the some of the questions for you to practice after you read the above chapter:
Click here for answer
A.Fill in the blanks
- One kilometre equals ………………….. Centimetres.
- A year has ……… days.
- The interval between two events is called ……..
- The distance between any two cities is measures in …………………….
- The unit of mass is …………………………………….
- ………………….are used to measure time .
- All measuring ……………… have standard marking for accurate measurement.
B.Write ‘T’ for true and ‘F’ for false.
- .Love is physical quantities.
- To prepare clothes a tailor should take measurement of Clothes .
- “Mana” and “Pathi” units are used in our Villages.
- Weight of Small quantities are measured by physical balance.
- Mass of body varies from place to place .
- Newton is called as derived unit
- One gram is equal to one hundred milligrams.
- The standard unit of time is hour.
C. Answer the following questions.
- What is Measurement? Write the importance of Measurement?
- What do you understand by physical quantities?
- Write the SI units of mass,length and time.
- Define :
- SI system
- Write the two demits of traditional measurement?
- Why standard unit of measurement is necessary?
- Why can’t hand span be used as standard unit of length measurement?
- Can we use an elastic measuring tape for accurate measurement of distances?mention some of the difficulties you might face in using such measuring tape.
- How would you weigh an object using a beam balance?
- What precaution should be taken while measuring length?
- How many quintals are there in one ton>
- Express 4.20 m length in millimeter unit.
- How many seconds are there in 6.5 minutes?
- A scale has 10 divisions between two consecutive centimeter marking .what is the minimum distance that can be measured using this scale ?
- While measuring the length of wooden box ,the reading of the scale at one end is 4.8 cm and at the other end it is 48.2 cm. what is the length of the box?
- Convert the following:
- 700 meters into Kilometers.
- 5620 grams into kilograms
- 120 seconds into minutes.
- 5 kg into grams.
- 7 days into seconds.
- 55 seconds into minutes.
- 7 hours into seconds.
- 20 cm into meters.
- 7 km into Centimetres.
Best of luck.